|Mumbai attacks were
spontaneous, says youth leader
|Wednesday, 12 March, 2008, 08:32 AM Doha Time
THE recent attacks against people from northern Indian states in Mumbai was neither orchestrated
nor planned, a leader of opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said yesterday.
Sanjay Upadhaya, president
of the Mumbai unit of the Bharatiya Yuva Janata Morcha, the youth wing of the BJP, was in Doha to attend the 3rd
Conference on ‘Enriching the Middle East’s Economic Future’ that concluded yesterday.
Upadhyay said the
attacks were the results of a spontaneous outbursts between the activists of two groups, one of which had been
linked earlier to the main opposition party of Maharashtra, the Shiv Sena. “However, they could not succeed in
spreading it beyond Mumbai and Thane limits,” he said.
Upadhyaya, whose ancestors hailed from Uttar
Pradesh, said the BJP fear another round of riots against Mumbai’s north Indians before the next elections to the
State legislative assembly, due next year.
He said opposition parties have already pointed out this
possibility and the state Chief Minister Bilasrao Deshmukh has been told to act before something similar occurs.
The youth leader said the attackers had not succeeded in paralysing the city’s businesses, mostly run by non-
Maharashtrians, as they had hoped for.
“Had it spread like the rioters expected, Mumbai’s image as a
business centre would have been affected badly at the international level,” he said.
“However, contrary to
what appeared in most newspapers initially, the attacks had no blessings of the Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackrey,” he
Most language newspapers failed to mention Thackrey’s spontaneous disowning of attacks on the
residence of Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan.